Memorial University – St. John’s Campus
Music - Composition
|School:||Memorial University – St. John’s Campus
|Faculty:||School of Music
|Field of Study:||Music Theory and Composition
|Description:||Rhythms, melodies and experimentation are woven into the fabric of Newfoundland and Labrador. Where better to study music than in a culture that defines itself by music? St. John’s is where you find Atlantic Canada’s only comprehensive music school. Studying music at Memorial is a privilege of extremes: we’re big enough to provide you large ensemble experiences, exposure to the professional world and the stimulation of competition. At the same time, we’re small enough to promise you a lot of personal attention, from the close relationship you’ll enjoy with your performance instructor to the easy interaction of seminar-sized classes and the collegiality of a welcoming student body.
To be awarded the degree of Bachelor of Music in Theory and Composition, a candidate shall comply with the School’s regulations, and successfully complete a minimum of 124 credit hours, including 53 credit hours in the Core Program. Please see the program website for a more detailed curriculum.
|URL:||Music - Composition at Memorial University – St. John’s Campus
|Cost per year:*||
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*||70
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- Grade12 English
- Grade12 Mathematics
- Grade12 Science
- Grade12 Social Science or Grade12 International Languages
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 79] or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery [min. 85] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5]
|Additional Admission Requirements:||
In addition to this general application, students must submit a School of Music application form as well as a statement of musical experience and career objectives. Students are also required to complete a number of diagnostic tests administered in music literacy and a mandatory performance audition which may be done on site or remotely.
- Statement of Research Interests
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.