How to Travel to Canada for School This Fall
With Covid-19 restrictions slowly being lifted, the opportunity to travel to Canada to study has started again!
Have you heard the great news yet? Most universities and colleges in Canada are beginning to open for in-person classes this fall! So, what does this mean if you applied and were accepted to study in Canada this Fall? Here is everything you need to know to get started on your adventure!
1. Are you eligible to travel to Canada?
With Canadian Covid-19 regulations changing so frequently, it can be difficult to keep up with the information. A quick way you can check if you are able to travel to Canada for your studies is through a quick questionnaire offered by the Government of Canada.
2. What documents you need when you travel to Canada
As an international student coming to Canada, you must meet two requirements:
- You have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit
- You must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory
You will also need to bring proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
Entering Canada Requirements Checklist
As of July 5th, 2021, fully vaccinated travellers who are eligible to enter Canada may be exempted from federal requirements of quarantining and the 8-day Covid-19 test.
You will need to create an ArriveCAN account for the process of travelling to Canada. This is where you will be submitting all your required documents to travel as well as the mandatory information after your entry into Canada.
1. Before you travel
2. Boarding your flight
3. Arriving in Canada
Have the following items with you for assessment by a government official at the border:
- ArriveCAN receipt, test results, hotel confirmation, and quarantine plans ready for assessment by a Border Services Officer
- Take a Covid-19 test on arrival
- Go directly to your pre-booked hotel for up to 3 nights to await results from your arrival test
4. Completing your full quarantine
On day 8 of your quarantine, you will take another Covid-19 test. You must stay in your place of quarantine while you await the results of this test.
1. Before you travel
- Find out if you can enter Canada
- Assess your quarantine plan
- Get your pre-entry Covid-19 test
- Set up your account for arrival testing
- Use ArriveCAN to submit your travel details up to 72 hours before arrival
2. Arriving in Canada at land border crossing
3. Completing your mandatory quarantine
- Use ArriveCAN to check-in and report daily
- Use your Day-8 test kit and await results
Your quarantine period begins on the day that you arrive in Canada. Your quarantine period ends 14 days later from your arrival if you received your negative Day-8 Covid-19 test result.
To stay up-to-date with Canada's travel protocols, check out the Government of Canada website! Make sure you plan ahead so that your quarantine period ends before classes begin!
Check out your future school before you arrive!