Preparing to Move to Montreal for University

By Concordia University Modified on October 31, 2017

Organizing your study permits, travel documents, housing, and more.


The very first step towards moving to Canada for university is applying for admission. The minute you have an offer letter, you’re ready to move forward with planning your move to Montreal.

Here’s what you’ll need:

  • A valid passport good for at least six months
  • Proof of financial capacity: you’ll need to demonstrate you have the resources to cover tuition fees and living expenses
  • A Quebec Acceptance Certificate, also known as the CAQ, granted by Quebec’s Ministry of Immigration
  • A Letter of Introduction from Immigration Refugee Citizenship Canada. You’ll show this letter to officials at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada, so they can issue you a Study Permit
  • A Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization, depending on your country of origin

Concordia’s International Students Office (also known as the ISO) publishes a pre-departure guide for new students that details exactly how to proceed.

Once you’re on your way to securing your immigration and travel documents, the next thing to consider is where you’re going to live. You may wish to think about living on campus in one of our three student residences. Once you have an offer letter, you can apply to live in residence.

If you won’t be living on campus, you can start looking for housing off-campus once you arrive in Montreal. It’s important to visit potential rental apartments in person before making a commitment.

The ISO will be a great source of support as you get settled in your new city. Check out the Welcome International Students Events (WISE), which cover everything from apartment-hunting and health insurance to fun social events designed to help new international students make the most of life in Montreal.