Work Opportunities for International Students

By York University Modified on January 17, 2019

Did you know that you can work while you study at York University?


York University provides international students with experiential education opportunities to help develop expertise and prepare them for their future career. One of the highlights of studying in Canada as an international student is that you’re able to work with a Student Visa. York University provides job postings through their Career Centre, giving you the opportunity to work on and off campus. York International also facilitates growth opportunities for international students interested in co-operative education and networking opportunities.

You may also be eligible to work in Canada after you graduate. As a study permit holder, you may qualify to work on-campus or off-campus without an additional work permit. York International can offer you further guidance and support if this is a part of your academic and career goals.

Career Centre

One of the best ways to prepare for your career is conveniently located on campus! York University’s Career Centre is one of our most useful resources for students looking to develop their professional skills and prepare for their future. The Career Centre provides York students with:

  • workshops;
  • cover letter and resume critiques;
  • practice interview sessions;
  • peer career educators;
  • employer recruitment events and job fairs.
You can also sit down with an advisor and discuss the careers you want to explore after you’ve achieved your degree. You’ll be assessed according to your program of study, your personality, interests and hobbies. The best part is that there’s no limit to how many appointments you can book! It’s a great way to take advantage of all the improvement opportunities available at York.

Internships and Co-operative Education at York

If you are considering adding an internship or co-op education placement to your degree, York has several options depending on your area of studies. These programs provide great opportunities to complement your in-class education with hands-on work experience. In many cases, work placements are paid positions and, therefore, can also help to offset the financial cost of a university education.

There are a few things you need before you participate in a co-op or internship placement. For example, you must get a co-op work permit. Some of the eligibility requirements for a co-op work permit include:

  • You must have a study permit.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic at York.
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study

International Student Employment Fund (ISEF)

The International Student Employment Fund (ISEF) is coordinated through York International and offers on-campus jobs for international students. These are additional opportunities for international students to gain Canadian working experience and sharpen their skills to be used towards their future careers. What’s more, since the opportunities are on-campus you can adjust your work schedule around your classes, giving you some extra time to focus on your studies.

Obtaining a job while studying has many benefits and we’re here to help! To learn more about employment opportunities and co-operative education at York University, visit our Working in Canada website. We look forward to seeing you on campus next year!