Helpful Tips for a Smooth Co-op Journey
Discover the best advice for your co-op job search and your first day on the job.
These last two years have been challenging for everyone. Not only are we missing out on special occasions, but we are also missing out on the day-to-day interactions that used to make up a regular weekday. Collectively, we are feeling disconnected and for many of us, this is impacting how we work.
At Algonquin College, we wanted to share a few tips on how to reduce some of the possible stress points around co-op employment.
Finding a job
Searching for jobs can be tough, we’ve all been there. But here’s how you can make this process as painless as possible:
- Get started! Plan ahead and block off some time in your week dedicated to getting your resume ready, applying to jobs, or preparing for an interview. If you are in your job search term, make sure you are logging in to HireAC to see the newly posted jobs and conduct a self-directed job search on the side. Read our blog post for tips on finding a co-op job outside of HireAC. And remember, don’t get discouraged, this is a process
- If you find yourself procrastinating, ask yourself why. If it’s because you need help, reach out to your co-op student advisor. We have six highly skilled and caring advisors on our team who are here to help
- Prepare for your interview. Book an appointment with our team using the appointment booking feature on HireAC. We also have some interview tips for a successful interview from our employers up on the blog that you can read
Starting your new job
Starting a new job comes with its fair share of excitement and pressure. Follow these tips for a great start:
- Set healthy and realistic targets. Employers have told us that what they look for the most in their co-op students is their willingness to learn. Have an open mind and ask questions
- Manage your workload. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, speak to your co-op supervisor, together you can discuss where you should be focusing your time and energy
- Identify and celebrate the small victories throughout your day
- Maintain healthy boundaries with work. If you’re working from home, try to have a designated workspace. Take breaks and get moving. You can go for a walk, stand up and stretch
- Maintain social connections for a healthy work environment by contributing to the group chat or reaching out to colleagues and participating in meetings and social activities (yes, even the virtual ones!)
Remember, co-op is a great tool to help you discover your passions, gain valuable work experience, create new connections, and begin building your future. The co-op team is here to help you succeed, so reach out to us at email@example.com for the help you need on your co-op journey!
Discover Algonquin College
account_balanceMore About This School