- Applicants must meet the English Language Competency requirements as specified by the BC Care Aide and Community Health Worker Registry
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview
- Cover letter
- 3 written reference letters
- Criminal record check
- Applicants to the HCA program at Capilano University must meet the English Language Competency HCA Program Entry (pdf).
- All students who are interested in the HCA program are strongly encouraged to attend an information session.
After acceptance to the program, students will be required to submit additional documentation as required by relevant health authorities in order to participate in a practicum. Students must complete the practicum to be eligible for program completion.
At a minimum, this includes the following:
- Standard first aid including CPR (level C) with Automated External Defibrillator (AED);
- TB skin test and/or chest x-ray to rule out active TB;
- Successful completion of Food Safe Level 1 within 3 years prior to program commencement;
- Up to date Immunizations in accordance with Practice Education Guidelines of BC.
The activities of the HCA program involve bending, lifting up to 23 Kg (50 lbs), squatting, standing and walking for extended periods (can be up to 8 hours). Additionally, during clinical practicums, students will care for clients who are at end of life and some who may be aggressive due to their cognitive status.
The following is recommended:
- 40 hours of volunteer work at a Complex Care Unit.