Crane Operators, Drillers and Blasters

(NOC 737)


In general, you usually need a high school diploma.

To be a crane operator, you need an apprenticeship of one to three years or crane operation courses.

In some provinces/territories, crane, boom truck, and mobile and tower crane operators require trade certification.

To be a mobile crane operator, you may need a licence to drive on public roads. If you have trade certification, you may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.

To be a driller, you may need heavy equipment operator experience and on-the-job training.

To be a blaster, you usually need a blasting licence and may need experience as a blaster helper in surface mining/quarrying. You usually receive on-the-job training.

To gain trade certification as a water well driller, you need a two- to three-year apprenticeship or two to three years' experience with trade courses.

Many recent entrants have a trade/vocational certificate or a community college diploma.

Degrees Associated with This Career

High School Diploma

Useful Experience/Skills

Communication skills
Outdoor/physical work
Safety procedures
3-D visualization

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Machine Shop

Centennial College
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Motive Power - Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Diploma; Online
Request Info
Olds College of Agriculture & Technology
Olds, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Heavy Equipment Operator Certificate
Heavy Equipment Technician Certificate; Apprenticeship
Request Info
Red Deer Polytechnic
Red Deer, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Heavy Equipment Technician Certificate; Apprenticeship
Request Info
Cambrian College
Sudbury, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Heavy Equipment Technician Diploma; Co-op; Apprenticeship
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022