Working in Canada as a Student

By Sophia Leonard

Student Housing

As an international student, you may be unsure about whether or not you can work in Canada while you study. This will depend on your visa type, and where you are looking to work.

Working On Campus Full-time students at approved public or private post-secondary institutions with valid study permits are able to work on campus without a separate work permit. Check with your school and its career centre for opportunities for on-campus work.

Working Off Campus In order to work off campus, students studying in Canada will need to obtain an Off Campus Work Permit. To apply for the permit, you must be a full-time student at an approved post-secondary institution. To find out if your school qualifies, check out this list. You can also contact your international student advisor at your school for more details on obtaining and maintaining an Off Campus Work Permit.

Internships & Co-Ops Some academic programs will require you to complete a co-op or internship as part of your education. To do so, you will need to apply for a work permit in addition to your study permit. To see the criteria for the appropriate work permit, take a look at this page.

Always be sure to consult Citizenship and Immigration Canada for details relating to visas and work permits, and contact your school's international student department to speak with experts who can help guide you through the process.

Modified on March 03, 2014

Subscribe to our newsletter