Medical Radiation Technology
|Faculty:||Health Sciences, Nursing and Emergency Services
|Field of Study:||Medical Radiologic Technology/Science - Radiation Therapist
|Description:||Medical radiation technologists (MRT) are health care professionals who provide patient-centered care in an inter-professional environment. Using problem-solving and critical thinking skills, MRTs acquire quality radiographic and CT images to assist in the diagnosis of trauma and disease processes.
As a student in this program, you will gain the knowledge, skills, and ability to support medical teams by providing diagnostic-quality images with excellent patient care expertise. You will develop the core professional competencies required of an entry-to-practice MRT during a full calendar year placement at one of our affiliated hospital partners.
This is a physically and mentally demanding profession and will require you to be in good physical health and have the ability to lift heavy patients, stand for long periods of time, and have strong visual and hearing acuity.
|URL:||Medical Radiation Technology at Cambrian College
|Careers:||Medical Radiation Technologists||
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- 2 of Grade12 English or Grade12 Mathematics
- Grade12 Physics
- Grade12 Biology or Grade12 Chemistry or Grade12 Science
A minimum of 75% is required in each prerequisite course.
Recommended: computer competency in relevant software.
|Additional Admission Requirements:||Medical
- Immunization as necessary according to the Ontario Hospitals Act
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) - 2 doses or blood test evidence of immunity
- Varicella - blood test evidence of immunity
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening - documented proof of a Two-Step TB Mantoux skin test
- Tetanus/Diptheria (Td) - initial primary series completed with booster or 3 doses
- Pertussis - an Adacel or equivalent vaccine after the age of 18
- Polio - proof of completed initial primary series or 3 doses
- Hepatitis B - blood test evidence of immunity
- Influenza - annual vaccine required, when available
Note: Cambrian College has partnered with ParaMed's Requisite Program to ensure all field/clinical placement requirements are met.
Evidence of both medical and non medical requirements must be provided to ParaMed's Requisite Program in semester 4 of the program.
- HealthCare Providers (HCP) Level Cardiac Life Support Certificate
- WHMIS certificate
- Respiratory Mask Fit testing
- Criminal record check with vulnerable sector screening
- AODA certificate
- Health and Safety Awareness Training
- Students should arrive with a mobile computing device (laptop or tablet) for image viewing
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.