International Development Studies
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts
|Field of Study:||Development Economics and International Development
|Description:||The International Development Studies (IDS) program is designed for those students who wish to take advantage of the resources available at McGill to pursue an interdisciplinary program of study focusing on the problems of the developing countries. IDS Students will follow one of the following streams:
(1) Economic Development and Living Standards: Courses in this stream revolve around the factors contributing to sustained economic growth, the trade-offs associated with different ways of achieving it, and the distributional issues development inevitably raises. More generally, this stream is also concerned with understanding what "development" actually entails in different contexts.
(2) States and Governance: The courses in this stream focus on how political institutions shape developmental processes.
(3) Culture and Society: The courses in this stream focus on how the social structures, history, and culture of populations affect developmental processes.
(4) Environment and Agricultural Resources: Within development studies, the environment has long been recognized as a vital determinant of development. This stream highlights the delicate balance that must be attained between humans and their environments to make possible sustainable livelihoods.
|URL:||International Development Studies at McGill University
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*||87
|Prerequisites:*||These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Honours students must maintain a GPA of 3.30 in their program courses and, according to Faculty regulations, a minimum CGPA of 3.00 in general.
- Grade12 English or Grade12 Français
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (Paper Based) [min. 577] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 90]
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.