Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the development of production methods, facilities and systems, and the planning, estimating, measuring and scheduling of work.
Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists
- Develop and conduct production, inventory and quality assurance programs in manufacturing or in other industries
- Design plant layouts and production facilities
- Develop and carry out work study and related programs
- Develop and carry out industrial health, safety and fire prevention plans and programs and conduct safety training programs
- Develop applications using CAD/CAM (computer-assisted drafting, computer-assisted manufacturing) for the control of robots, computer numerical control (CNC) machines and other manufacturing processes and operations.
Industrial engineering and manufacturing technicians
- Assist in the design of plant layouts
- Conduct work measurement or other studies
- Collect and compile operational or experimental data and assist in the development of estimates, schedules, specifications and reports
- Collect and analyze data and samples in support of quality assurance and industrial health and safety programs
- Develop manufacturing and processing procedures and variables, set machine or equipment controls, oversee production and inspect processes.
Technologists and technicians in this unit group may specialize in the development of production processes, quality assurance programs, plans and schedules in a particular industrial area such as metal fabrication, plastics, pulp and paper, or textile manufacturing.
Computer-assisted design/computer-assisted manufacturing (CA
Industrial engineering technician/technologist
Loss prevention technologist - manufacturing
Plastics manufacturing technician
Pulp and paper manufacturing technologist
Quality assurance technologist
Scheduling technician - manufacturing
Time study analyst
Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians are employed by manufacturing and insurance companies, government departments, and establishments in other industries.
Here are some schools that have programs related to this career: