Contractors and supervisors in pipefitting trades supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Plumbers (NOC 7251), Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers (NOC 7252) and Gas fitters (NOC 7253).
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who install, repair and maintain piping systems used for the transmission of steam, heat, water, oil and other liquids and gases in residential, commercial, industrial and other installations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare schedules and other reports
- May manage the operations of their own companies
- May supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Small businesses' contractors may execute tasks within their trade area of expertise, which is generally not the case for supervisors or contractors associated with a medium or large business.
Gas fitters foreman/woman
Gas fitters supervisor
Sprinkler system installer foreman/woman
Contractors and supervisors in pipefitting trades are employed by construction companies, mechanical, plumbing and pipefitting trade contractors and maintenance departments of industrial, commercial and manufacturing establishments. Contractors may be self-employed.
Here are some schools that have programs related to this career: