Chemical Engineers

(NOC 2134)


In general, you need a university degree in your chosen area of engineering or in a related field.

You may also need a master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering field.

As an engineer, you are eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) after graduation from an accredited educational program, after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and by passing the professional practice examination.

You need a licence from a provincial/territorial association of professional engineers to practise as a professional engineer (P. Eng.).

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 3 in 20 have a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Project management
Team project work
Proposal writing
Making presentations
Financial management
Committee work on industry ethics

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Industrial Arts
Blueprint Reading

Ryerson University
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Chemical Engineering Co-op Bachelor; Co-op
Undeclared Engineering (First Year Studies Only) Bachelor
Request Info
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Chemical Engineering Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Request Info
Red Deer Polytechnic
Red Deer, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Engineering Bachelor; University Transfer
Request Info
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Chemical Engineering Bachelor
Design - Engineering Route Bachelor
Request Info
Lakehead University - Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Engineering - Chemical Bachelor; Co-op
Engineering - Chemical Bachelor
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022