(NOC 5125)


In general, to be a translator, you usually need a university degree with specialization in your related field such as translation, terminology or interpretation. You also need specialization in two languages, one of which should be an official language of Canada.

A university degree in a related field such as languages or linguistics plus courses in linguistic transfer and two years' experience as a translator or five years' experience as a translator may substitute for a specialized university degree.

To be a translator, you may need certification by dossier or exam from the Canadian Translators' and Interpreters' Council and membership in your provincial/territorial association. You usually need to be fluent in three languages to obtain work in an international context.

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 1 in 10 has a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Communication skills
More than one language
Specialized terminology

Useful Secondary School Subjects

English (Communication)
Social Studies
A second language

Centennial College
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Translation in the Workplace - English to French Certificate; Online; Distance
Request Info
Concordia University
Montreal, Qu├ębec, CA

Related Program(s):
Traduction (Translation) Bachelor
Traduction (Translation) (BA) Bachelor; Co-op
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022