Food and Beverage Servers

(NOC 6453)


To work in these occupations you may need a high school diploma. To be a maître d'hôtel, host or hostess, you usually need several weeks' on-the-job training. To be a maître d'hôtel, you need experience as a formal or captain waiter or waitress, or other food service experience. To be a waiter or waitress, you may need on-the-job training. Formal waiters and waitresses may require college or vocational school courses. To be a wine steward, you may need courses in wine selection and service or experience as a formal or captain waiter or waitress. Many recent entrants have a high school diploma, and almost 3 in 10 have a trade/vocational certificate or community college diploma.

Degrees Associated with This Career

High School Diploma

Useful Experience/Skills

Dealing with the public
Customer service
Retail work

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Business English
Family Studies (Home Economics)

Centennial College
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Food Science Technology Diploma; Online; Advanced
Food Science Technology Diploma; Co-op; Online; Advanced
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022