British Columbia Institute of Technology
|School:||British Columbia Institute of Technology
|Faculty:||School of Transportation
|Field of Study:||Nautical Science/Merchant Marine Officer
|Description:||The Nautical Sciences program is a four-year full-time Co-operative program accredited by Transport Canada Marine Safety and Security (TCMSS). You will gain a thorough background in the principles and operation of modern vessels like super tankers, bulk carriers, cruise ships, tugboats and off shore supply vessels. Students (Cadets) receive instruction and training based on seamanship and traditional maritime skills in areas such as:
• Operating navigational equipment
• Safe carriage of goods
• Marine Communications
• Marine safety, security, and rescue
• Environmental response
• Ship Stability
|URL:||Nautical Sciences at British Columbia Institute of Technology
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- Grade12 English
- Grade11 Principles of Mathematics or Grade11 Applied Mathematics or Grade11 Precalculus
Applicants must have: two years of education in English in an English-speaking country with one of the following: English 12 (50%) or Communications 12 (67%) or 3.0 credits of post-secondary English, humanities or social sciences (50%) from a recognized institution or BCIT English Trades Entry Assessment (for applicants who have two years of education in an English-speaking country only); and one of the following: Principles of Mathematics 11 (60%) or Applications of Mathematics 11 (60%) or Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics 11 (60%) or Foundations of Mathematics 11 (60%) or Pre-Calculus 11 (60%) or BCIT Math Trades Entry Assessment.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 60] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.0] or Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages: Certificate in Advanced English [min. C] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 82]
|Additional Admission Requirements:||Applicant is required to have a Medical certificate from a Transport Canada-approved physician indicating you are fit for Deck service.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.