Vancouver Island University
Arts One - First Nations
|School:||Vancouver Island University
|Field of Study:||Aboriginal Studies
|Description:||Arts One-First Nations is a multi-disciplinary learning community for first-year university students. The program is intended for students who are interested in the intersection and interaction between First Nations and western cultures within a broad introduction to interdisciplinary study in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Enrolment in the program is managed to ensure that First Nations students comprise at least two-thirds of the class.
Students will study the history and effects of interaction between the First Nations of North America and those who came to this land from Europe. The program curriculum incorporates concepts of First Nations and Western European governance, community and culture. Students will explore such questions as: What happens when different cultures collide? How do people use myth, ceremony, writing, and story-telling to understand family, spirituality, and economics?
|URL:||Arts One - First Nations at Vancouver Island University
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- graduation from a B.C. secondary school, or equivalent, with a minimum “C” grade in either English 12 or English 12 First Peoples;
- previous degree from a recognized university;
- visiting student from a college or university (a “Letter of Permission” from the home institution is required);
- transfer student from a college or university (at least 24 transferable university-level credits completed);
- mature student—at least 21 years of age (or will turn 21 in the first semester of admission) and has a minimum “C” grade in either English 12 or English 12 First Peoples.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.