University of Calgary

Social Work

Save Compare

Program Information

School:University of Calgary
Faculty:Social Work
Field of Study:Social Work

Social work is a profession that helps individuals, families, groups, and communities to improve their individual and collective well-being. Social workers work in a wide range of professional roles in many different areas including the health care system, private practice, the public sector, local and international community development and non-profit organizations.

During the course of your studies, you’ll gain research capabilities, practical experience, written and verbal communication skills, and a deeper understanding of how to help individuals and families within the context of their environment. As a social worker, you’ll be prepared for global career opportunities in settings such as hospitals, community health clinics, social service agencies, correctional facilities, consultation agencies, and the civil service. You may enter our program once you've completed either a social work diploma or two full years of university study, or as an after-degree student.
URL:Social Work at University of Calgary
Length:4 Year(s)
Cost per year:*
International: $20,172

The calculated estimated cost is for first year tuition with a full course load (5 courses) for both fall and spring semesters.
Careers:Social WorkersCommunity and Social Service WorkersSocial and Community Service WorkersSee More...

Admission Requirements


These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.

    Required courses for admission:

    • For all routes: A transferable post-secondary English course(s) or English Language Arts 30-1 or equivalent.
    • Alberta Social Work Diploma: Alberta social work diploma from a post-secondary institution that has a transfer agreement with the Faculty of Social Work
    • University transfer (including UCalgary students): A minimum of 57 units of university transferable non-social work courses plus Social Work 201 (or equivalent)
    • Non-Social Work Degree: A non-social work degree from a recognized institution plus Social Work 201 (or equivalent)
    • Non-Social Work Diploma: A non-social work diploma from a recognized institution plus 27 units of transferable non-social work courses and Social Work 201 (or equivalent)
    • Non-Alberta Social Work Diploma: Social work diploma from a recognized institution that does not have a transfer agreement with the Faculty of Social Work plus 30 units of transferable non-social work courses

    Additional Admission Requirements:
      Please see the link above for up-to-date program requirements.

      * We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.

      Modified on August 20, 2020