Intensive classes! Modern campus! Pathways to Degree Programs! International friends! These are just some of the reasons why each year more than 2500 international students choose UVic’s English Language Centre (ELC) programs to improve their English skills.
The English Language Centre (ELC) is part of the University of Victoria (UVic), a medium-sized university located on a modern campus in the west-coast capital city of Victoria, British Columbia. Spectacular landscapes, outdoor activities, excellent shopping and nightlife make Victoria one of Canada’s favourite tourist destinations. UVic’s location in Victoria is convenient and scenic – just 10 minutes away from the beach and 15 minutes from downtown. UVic consistently ranks among Canada’s top 3 universities and is listed in the top 1% of universities worldwide.
ELC students have unlimited access to all of UVic’s academic and recreational facilities, allowing them to become part of an exciting student community of 19,000 degree students. Outside of classes, ELC students enjoy a variety of social and cultural activities which allow our students to explore the beauty and culture of Victoria, while offering an opportunity to practise their English with each other, and with Canadians.
The ELC has been providing students with innovative English programs for over 40 years. We offer general, academic and university pathway English programs to suit the needs and goals of each student. Whether you are interested in going to university in Canada, or want a fun language summer program, the ELC can help. ELC programs begin every month and can be combined to suit each student´s schedule and interests, making it easy to study in Victoria for 1 month, 6 months, a year, or longer!
| ||# Beds||Lowest||Highest
|Co-ed:||1,000 beds||Lowest: $1,225||Highest: $1,720
Dormitory accommodation is available on campus in July and August only. A private, furnished room is included, along with a cafeteria meal plan and a schedule of free evening activities.
| ||# Beds||Lowest||Highest
|Homestay:||Lowest: $800||Highest: $800
Homestay is available for all ELC programs from September - June. Students are carefully matched with Canadian hosts who will provide a safe, comfortable, and friendly home. The ELC´s Homestay department recently received a national award from the "Canada Languages Council" recognizing its outstanding program and service.
When you choose UVic you choose the best. Here are just a few reasons why studying English at the ELC is the best choice to achieve your goals.
A Quality Education is Guaranteed!
- UVic consistently ranks among Canada’s top 3 universities and is listed in the top 1% of universities worldwide (Times Higher Education World Universities Ranking, 2010)
Pathways to UVic Degree Programs!
- The University Pathway Program for International Students allows students to study English and take credit courses at the same time! Students can improve their English AND graduate university in just 4 years. UVic also offers conditional acceptance to students who meet the academic requirements for university acceptance.
- The ELC offers programs which combine English studies with professional experience in Victoria.
ELC students are UVic students too!
– At UVic, you'll share a modern university campus with 19,000 degree students. You'll have access to the best facilities and lots of chances to meet Canadian friends.
- Our University Admission + Canadian Studies Program, English Work Experience Program and Homestay program have all won national awards in recent years for their high quality and innovation.
- Spectacular landscapes, outdoor activities, excellent shopping and the mildest climate in Canada make Victoria one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations, with over 1 million visitors each year.
Find information about UVic degree programs at: www.uvic.ca
ELC student have unlimited access to sports facilities for a fee of $120 per semester. This includes access to:
- a FIFA soccer pitch
- indoor and outdoor swimming pools
- weight training equipment
- dance/yoga studios
- tennis and squash courts
- gyms for playing volleyball, basketball, etc.
UVic also has a wide network of forested hiking and jogging trails.
- Orientation sessions, campus tours, and welcome receptions.
- A calendar of free activities such as coffee socials and trips to local tourist attractions
- Optional activities ($) such as whale watching, trips to Vancouver, skiing, visits to Butchart Gardens, etc.
- Farewell dinner and certificate presentations.
There are over 50 student clubs to choose from at UVic, for students with special social, political or athletic interests.
- WiFi throughout campus
- Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) facility
- 10 computer labs
Victoria is a multicultural city with many opportunities to enjoy festivals, and special events both on and off campus, such as:
- Chinese New Year
- Jazz Festival
- Tango Festival
- Dragon Boat Festival
- Symphony Splash
- the Pacific Opera
The ELC keeps students informed about upcoming events and our Cultural Assistants often guide students to events.
The University of Victoria is fully accessible to students with disabilities and special needs.
Languages Canada, NAFSA, BCCIE, CBIE, TESL, TEAL, BCTEAL, and CAUCE.
The University of Victoria has over 90 official partnerships with educational institutions in 23 countries.
Students enrolled in our ELC programs receive a campus tour on the first day of their program.
UVic's other facilities and services include:
- Medical and dental clinic
- Cafes and restaurants
- Movie theatre
- Hair salon
- Travel agency
- Multi-denominational chapel