Western University is one of Canada's top research-intensive universities, ranking #1 in Canada and #3 in the world for sustainable development according to the 2022 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings. Challenging the best and brightest students, faculty and staff to commit to the highest global standards, Western's research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application.
The Western community includes 43,352 students, with more than 4,759 international students from 129 countries.
With over 400 combinations of first-entry undergraduate programs, you will be able to tailor your education to your passions. You can specialize in one area or combine two programs – like finance and economics, business and engineering, or a different mix. You will have the opportunity to gain career skills by taking part in internships, co-ops and practicums offered in every undergraduate program.
Western also offers second-entry professional programs in law, business, nursing and education, as well as over 88 different graduate degree programs.
Western is located in London, Ontario, which is the fastest growing city in Ontario. The population is 400,000 and it's a two-hour drive west of Toronto. Western has a scenic campus featuring 1,200 acres of green space with a mix of modern and historic buildings. Campus amenities include a medical and dental office, grocery store, hospital, restaurants/eateries and more.
Key Facts about Western:
- Ranked among the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide
- Ranked in the top 50 universities worldwide for graduate employability (QS University Rankings 2022)
- A founding member of the U15 – Canada's most distinguished research universities
- One of the highest national entrance averages of first-year students at 91%
- First to second year retention rate of 93%—one of the highest in Canada
- A proud legacy of Rhodes Scholars, with the 24th announced in 2019
- 26 faculty recipients of 3M National Teaching Fellowships—second highest in Canada
- 92.5% employment rate after graduation
- More than 328,000 alumni in 160 countries worldwide
Western University has three different residence styles and ten first-year buildings.
- Double and single rooms
- Shared floor bathrooms
- Four single rooms in one suite
- Two bathrooms per suite
- Shared living room and kitchen
- Double and single rooms
- Semi-private bathrooms
A spot in residence is guaranteed if you are admitted to Western's main campus directly from high school. You must submit your deposit and lifestyle questionnaire before your deadline to maintain the guaranteed spot.
The Off-Campus Housing Service provides students and staff with over 5,000 housing listings annually.
We'll help you transition to university with several programs including mentorship and course counselling:
- Orientation Week (OWeek)
- Summer Academic Orientation (SAO)
- Western Launch
- Leadership and Mentorship Program (LAMP)
- Student Leaders in Residence
- Out of Province Student Association
- International Peer Guide Program
- Society of Mature Students
- Academic Support Program: Sports
- Society of Off-Campus Students
Careers & Experience helps you deepen your academic learning and actively plan for personal and professional growth through career education, experiential learning, and industry exploration.
- Career Appointments
- Career Events and Workshops
- Searchable database of jobs and internships
- Writing support for resumes and cover letters
- Mock interview support
Additional support for international students:
- Learn about requirements for working in Canada as well as visa information and resources
- Small group sessions on finding employment in Canada
Do you love sports? We do too. Western is recognized as having one of the best sports and recreation programs in Canada.
- Over 40 varsity teams
- 1,200 intramural sports teams in three levels (recreational, competitive and super competitive) and 15,000 student participants
- 18 sports clubs from judo to equestrian
- NEW eSports Arena
If you're looking for a job on campus, the Western Recreation Centre is the largest employer of students. And it has everything you need to stay active! It's a $35 million state-of-the-art facility with 20,000 square feet of weight-lifting and cardio equipment, studios, eight-lane 50-meter pool, ice arena, indoor track, squash/racquetball courts, and five gymnasiums.
Western has over 200 student clubs! Some are based on political interests, ethnic heritage and religions affiliation, hobbies, activities, and academic and career goals. If you have an idea for a new club, you can pitch your ideas to the University Students' Council (USC).
Academic Support & Engagement
- Accessible Education
- Learning Development
- Transition, Leadership & Enrichment
- Writing Support
- Propel Entrepreneurship
- Careers & Experience
- Equity & Human Rights Services
- Indigenous Services
- Student Support & Case Management
- Student Health Care
- Wellness Education Centre
- Mental Health Support
- Individual Counselling
- Crisis Counselling
- International Students Wellness
- Financial Counselling
- Digital Student Experience
- Brescia University College
- Huron University College
- King's University College
All four of our campuses (main campus and the three affiliated university colleges) are located in London, Ontario within walking distance. All students earn a Western University degree and have access to support services and programming, including Orientation Week and the Western Recreation Centre. Some academic programs are common and offered at multiple campuses, there are also unique degree streams offered at only one campus. Each campus has their own residences and admission requirements, and they each offer a unique living and learning environment.
You'll have opportunities to study, research, work, or volunteer abroad with over 170 international learning opportunities in over 40 countries around the world:
- Study Abroad
- Summer Programs
- Faculty-Led Programs
- Impact Experience
- Clinical, Field Placements and Practicums
Take a virtual tour of campus anytime!
Check our calendar for upcoming in-person tour availability.