Elementary School Teachers

(NOC 4142)


You need a bachelor's degree in education and a provincial/territorial teaching certificate.

You need additional training or specialization during your bachelor's degree studies to specialize in special education or second-language instruction.

You need additional certification to teach English or French as a second language.

With experience, you may move up the ranks to become an education consultant or school principal.

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 1 in 4 has a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Interpersonal skills
Curriculum familiarity

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Social Studies

Lakehead University - Orillia
Orillia, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Concurrent Education Bachelor; Honours
Education - Consecutive Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
Red Deer College
Red Deer, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Education Bachelor; University Transfer
Education - Middle Years Bachelor; University Transfer
Request Info
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Generalist Degree (BEd in Elementary Education) Bachelor
Elementary Education - Native Studies Bachelor
Request Info
Lakehead University - Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Education - Concurrent Bachelor; Honours
Education - Consecutive Bachelor
Request Info
Western University
London, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Education - Primary-Junior Bachelor
Request Info
view all
Modified on May 14, 2012