Community and Social Service Workers

(NOC 4212)


To be a community or social service worker, you usually need a university or college program in social work, child and youth care, counselling or other social science/health-related field.

For some occupations in this group, previous experience in a social service environment as a volunteer or in a support capacity may replace formal education requirements.

To be a social service worker, you may need to be a member of the provincial/territory regulatory body in your province/territory.

With additional training and experience, you may move up the ranks to become a family and marriage counsellor, social worker or probation officer.

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 1 in 20 has a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Communication skills
Client/customer needs assessment
Community service work

Useful Secondary School Subjects

A second language
Family Studies
Computer-related courses

Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University)
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Social Work Bachelor
Social Work (Advanced Standing to Second Year - Full Time) Bachelor
Request Info
University of Guelph-Humber
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Community Social Services Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
Algonquin College
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
General Arts and Science - Community Studies Certificate
Social Service Worker Diploma
Request Info
Centennial College
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Community Development Work Diploma; Online
Request Info
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Public Health Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022