Pick Me, Pick Me!
Tips to create the scholarship application they remember!
Scholarships for international students vary from institution to institution so research on the Student Awards websites of each of your school choices is important to discover what you need to do in order to be considered for all that free money!
Some scholarships are automatic (meaning you don’t need to make a separate application; you’ll be considered during your admissions process), and a few are even unlimited – meaning every student who meets a certain standard will receive the award! However, many higher value scholarships or competitive awards require a supplemental application including a written portion for you to express personal details such as community service, volunteerism or leadership experience. So how can you ensure your supplemental application stands out and screams “PICK ME!”? Below are a few tips and tricks to help your application shine:
- Follow instructions carefully: Ensure the format is correct and that you are abiding by the rules set out in the application details.
- Written responses must be specific and results-oriented. Indicate specifically what you did, what obstacles you overcame, your decision-making process and your action based results.
- Complete all sections and questions on the application, even if they are ‘optional’. Use every opportunity possible to express something unique. You want to be remembered!
- If required, choose references that know you as a person, not just as a student. Give at least 2 weeks notice and provide your references with some context of the scholarship requirements to ensure any letters can be tailored accordingly.
- Edit, edit, edit. And then proofread! And then have someone else proofread your work! It would be a shame if your superstar qualities were overshadowed by typos or technical errors.
- Do not leave your application to the last minute. Plan to have all written components complete a week or two prior to the deadline to allow for others to review and final edits.
These tips are by no means exhaustive – continue to research best practices and network with peers that have been successful in writing winning scholarship essays. All of your hard work will pay off!
Check out Carleton University for more information on our scholarships, programs, the application process and more!
Apply now to Carleton University!
account_balanceMore About This School