8 Top IELTS Tips
Use these tips from the British Council IELTS Canada team to help you prepare for your test.
Use these tips from the British Council IELTS Canada team to help you prepare for your test
- In the Listening test, before you do each section, you will be given 30-45 seconds to look at the questions. Use this time to study the questions and try to predict what you might hear.
- Always check your spelling. If you make a spelling mistake in the IELTS Listening or Reading section, your answer will be marked wrong.
- Make sure you do not exceed the word count in the Listening & Reading sections. For example, if you are asked to write ONE WORD and you write more than one word, your answer will be marked incorrect.
- Make sure you manage your time well in the Writing section. Spend 20 minutes on part 1 and 40 minutes on part 2. Always allow a few minutes at the end of each section to check your work.
- Repeating the same mistakes is common for IELTS test takers. Get to know what your common writing errors are and practice these.
- Make good eye contact with the examiner when you are in the Speaking test, and answer questions in a polite and friendly way. Your body language is an important part of communicating!
- When answering yes or no questions, it is important to answer the question and then to give reasons for your answer. Don’t simply answer Yes or No.
- Remember, the key to IELTS success is: Practice, Practice and Practice!
Visit our preparation section for more! We have:
- Free webinars which cover essential IELTS preparation tips
- An IELTS App to help build your vocabulary
- A free online preparation course
- Practice test materials