Post Graduation Work Permit Extended for International Students in Online Courses

By Logan Bright Modified on April 27, 2020

Online courses will now count towards your PGWP so you can work in Canada after graduation.

Post Graduation Work Permits will now be accessible to international students who study online in Canada.

In an effort to make life a little easier for international students during the coronavirus pandemic, the federal government of Canada has included online courses in the eligibility for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

Work and live in Canada with a Post Graduation Work Permit

The PGWP allows students who have graduated from a Canadian school to stay in the country after graduation, which can be a step towards permanent residency (PR). The more Canadian work experience you have, the more likely you are to be approved for PR.

Before COVID-19, students in programs of eight months or less were not eligible for PGWP. Now, if you're beginning online courses at a Canadian college or university, the time spent studying will count toward your PGWP.

Start studying from your home country

You can start studying while outside of Canada and complete up to half of your course before you travel to Canada. This is important, because if you were approved for a study permit after March 18, you may be affected by the federal travel ban, which runs until June 30th.

You don't need to apply for PGWP until you've finished your studies. Beware that processing time for online applications is approximately three months, and the wait is even longer for paper applications. You have 180 days after you receive your final marks to apply for PGWP to work in Canada.

Up to three years of work experience in Canada

With a PGWP, you'll have up to three years to earn work experience in Canada after you've completed your studies. If you're interested in becoming a permanent resident of Canada, and perhaps eventually a citizen, work experience is a great way to get started.

More details about the program can be found on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship website.

Learn more about COVID-19
account_balanceMore About This School