Jobs and Co-ops for International Students at UFV

By University of the Fraser Valley Modified on November 25, 2023
Tags : Campus Life | Community

Discover your options for working on- or off-campus, volunteering, or participating in a co-op program at the University of the Fraser Valley.

 Jobs and Co-ops for International Students at UFV

As an international student with a Canadian study permit, you can get practical experience in Canada while you study. University of the Fraser Valley has paid and volunteer jobs to help you build experience, and career-related co-operative jobs that are part of some of our programs.

If you want to get involved on campus and within the community, learn more about your options and what you’ll need to make it happen.

Cooperative Education (Co-op)

Our co-operative programs (often called “co-ops”) combine academic studies with paid work that relates to your program. When you earn a degree with a co-op designation, you graduate with career experience and skills that are in demand.

Co-op work terms can be from four to 12 months long. You can take up to four consecutive terms — 16 months — as long as two of those terms are during the summer. Your co-op placement might be close to the UFV campus, or in another part of Canada, depending on your program and interests.

To be eligible for a position in the co-op program, you’ll need the following requirements:

  • A valid study permit
  • Work is required to complete your study program in Canada
  • You must also have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

If you’re interested in learning more about co-op, check out our Centre for Experiential and Career Education.

Work on campus

UFV offers a Work-Study program which offers on-campus, part-time jobs with flexible hours. Most of our on-campus employers for international students are UFV faculty and staff, or other people who work for the university. Build your skills while you study. The Work-Study program allows you to gain 120 hours of professional employment experience over the course of one semester in conjunction with your studies.

Work-Study students are required to be full-time (enrolled in a minimum of nine UFV credits), and hold and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA. Work-Study positions do not include overtime hours (over 8 hours / day and 40 hours / week). Working on statutory holidays is not allowed.

Work off-campus

You’ve also got options to work off-campus as well! As a bonus, you can work part-time in Canada without needing a work permit!

If you’re a full-time student and want to work part-time off-campus, then you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

  • You’re enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits for the current semester (three courses)
  • You have an unexpired, valid study permit that says you are allowed to work
  • You’ve started your courses
  • You’re in good academic standing with a CGPA of 2.0 or greater
  • Your courses have not ended for the semester
  • You have a SIN
  • Your study program is at least six months long and it leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate

As an international student studying part-time, you can work part-time off campus without a work permit if you meet the above criteria and you are studying part-time because:

  • You are in the last semester of your study program and you do not need a full course load to complete your program
  • You were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester

Here’s a few key facts to keep in mind about working off-campus. If your study permit says that you’re allowed to work, then you can work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic terms and full-time during scheduled breaks. If you want to work during the summer break, then you must have been a full-time student during the winter term, and are planning to study full-time in the fall.

The UFV Centre for Experiential and Career Education offers several resources through CareerLink, like job postings, info sessions, and career coaches who can help you with your resumé, cover letter, and interviewing and job search skills Your part-time job will teach you more about the workplace in Canada, and you’ll develop new skills and make community connections.

Volunteer and build your co-curricular record

Volunteering can give you excellent experience. It’s also a good way to meet people, help others, contribute to UFV, and learn more about Canadian life. Your volunteer experience will also introduce you to people who can be references for future employment or graduate school.

Our myCampusLife program is where you can access your co-curricular record (CCR) and is the best resource for volunteer jobs. By tracking your activities, you have a record of them if you need the information for other purposes, including applying to graduate school.

Getting involved on campus with jobs, co-op positions, and volunteer roles are great ways to build up your resumé, network, and discover your community. Start your journey at UFV today!

Discover your practical experience options at UFV

account_balanceMore About This School