Jobs and Co-ops for International Students

By University of the Fraser Valley Modified on February 16, 2022
Tags : Careers | Money

Get Canadian experience while you study, and get paid, too!

Jobs and Co-ops for International Students

As an international student with a Canadian study permit, you can get practical experience in Canada while you study. The University of the Fraser Valley has paid and volunteer jobs to help you build experience and career-related co-operative jobs that are part of some of our programs. You may also be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.

Cooperative education (Co-op)

Our co-operative programs (often called "co-ops") combine academic studies with paid work that relates to your program. When you earn a degree with a co-op designation, you graduate with career experience and skills that are in demand.

Co-op work terms can be from four to 12 months long. You can take up to four consecutive terms — 16 months — as long as two of those terms are during the summer. Your co-op placement might be close to the UFV campus, or in another part of Canada, depending on your program and interests.

Work on campus

UFV offers on-campus, part-time jobs with flexible hours. Most of our on-campus employers for international students are UFV faculty and staff, or other people who work for the university.

Work off-campus

If you have been a full-time student for six months and your program leads to a certificate, degree, or diploma, you can look for a part-time job off-campus. Your job will teach you more about the workplace, and you will develop new skills and make community connections.

Volunteer and build your co-curricular record

Volunteering can give you excellent experience. It is also a good way to meet people, help others, contribute to UFV, and learn more about Canadian life. Your volunteer experience will also introduce you to people who can be references for future employment or graduate school.

Our myCampusLife program is where you can access your co-curricular record (CCR) and is the best resource for volunteer jobs. By tracking your activities, you have a record of them if you need the information for other purposes, including applying to graduate school.

Working after you graduate

As an international student, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit to work in Canada for up to three years after you graduate, so long as you have completed a minimum two-year program (either a degree or a diploma or two certificates).

Learn more about UFV International

account_balanceMore About This School